These are your options to get to, and from, Atauro:
Ferry/barge options: PLEASE NOTE!
Both the 'Nakroma' ferry and 'Success' barge are temporarily NOT operating
(Since December 2020)
The only Ferry service at the moment is the Thursday and Saturday 'Dragon' Fast Ferry
Thursdays and Saturdays (as of Thursday June 30 2022)
1. 'Dragon' Fast Ferry operated by Dragon Star Shipping, now runs twice a week on Thursdays & Saturdays, departing from Dili port at 8am (1 hour 15 minute travel time) and departs Atauro after loading passengers from anytime around 12 noon. It generally leaves whenever it wants to, due to weather conditions. This makes day trips difficult to plan unless the weather is good! Atauro is the only place in Timor-Leste where transport leaves before its actual scheduled departure time! Normally (tongue in cheek) the Dragon fast ferry loads at 2pm for a 3pm departure. Cost is US$15.00 per person (VIP) upstairs or US$10.00 per person (economy) downstairs. Tickets can be bought on the day as you board the ferry or from the Dragon Star Shipping office in Colmera opposite the port, near the Drive Thru Burger King and Gloria Jeans.
2. 'Nakroma' (Government operated Ferry) -The Nakroma ferry runs once a week, every Saturday, departing from Dili port at 8:00am and departs at 3:00pm from Atauro to return to Dili. Tickets are available directly from Dili Port on the Friday prior to departure 7.30am - 12 noon. Cost is USD $4.00 per person
3. 'Success' Barge operated by Dragon Star Shipping, 'Success' barge runs once a week also, every Thursday, departing Dili port at 8am and departs Atauro at 2.30pm to return to Dili. Tickets are available at their Dili office next to Gloria Jeans cafe in Colmera Dili, directly opposite the port. Cost is US$5.00 per person.
Fast boat/charter options:
1. Beloi Beach Hotel Water Taxi - Phone/WhatsApp Mia (+670) 77292222 Cost is USD$60.00 per person one way. US$110.00 return per person. Departs Dili at 8am from the Marine Police compound (UPM) near Largo Lecidere, arriving between 9am-9:30am. Departs Atauro 10:30am or 2pm depending on bookings. Please call for departure times and boat charter options. Contact : firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Compass Diving - Phone/WhatsApp (+670)77230965 Cost is US$70.00 one way per person, US$130.00 return per person. Departs Dili at 7:30am arriving at approximately 9:00am and departs Atauro at 9:30am or 3:00pm back to Dili depending on their dive schedule.
Contact Compass Diving on: email@example.com
3. Atauro Dive Resort - Phone/WhatsApp Voka & Safi (+670)77386166 to discuss if boat is available and travel details etc. Cost is US$55.00 per person each way. (not a regular service)
4. A1 Services Boat charters - Phone Eddie (+670)77230607 or Chris (+670)78673940 to arrange travel details. Cost is US$50.00 per person (minimum 5 people) or US$250.00 per charter one way (less than 5 people). Please contact via WhattsApp message as Chris is a mechanic and is often under a car or truck!
New Flight option: MAF Flights Dili-Atauro-Dili
US$75.00 each way (Monday, Wednesday, Friday)
These flights are booked by Barry's Place Atauro via MAF's e-ticket system.
(Passengers full name and WhatsApp number are required for booking e-ticket)
1. Mission Aviation Fellowship (MAF) - MAF run a light 7 seat aircraft service from Dili international airport to Atauro airstrip 3 days per week.
Monday (departs Dili 7.30am & departs Atauro 8.10am) Wednesday (departs Dili 12 noon & departs Atauro 12.40pm) Friday (departs Dili 4.30pm & departs Atauro 5.10pm)
Please note if the aircraft has an emergency medivac to attend to, there may be delays in your flight times.
Baggage allowance is hand-carry only, and must not weigh more than 10kg per person.
Getting to Timor-Leste:
From Darwin: Airnorth fly Mon, Wed, Fri to Dili from Darwin, see their website for details: www.airnorth.com.au
From Darwin: Qantas fly Mon, Wed, Fri to Dili from Darwin, see their website: www.qantas.com.au